Latest message you have seen: RE: Autoglide & X10

Re: c-bus planning on a new build - need advice

Hi John,

You've mainly considered lighting control based around C-Bus in your
posting, but it's not clear whether this is where your HA ambitions start
o=
end. You may want to think about any sensor requirements, and any other
control actions (eg curtain control, remote controlled power sockets,
heating control etc), plus any CCTV / burglar alarm requirements, since
these would require some additional wall points or cabling to ceilings.
Tricky in a week, but better to get cables in now rather than later. I'm
sure a few more questions on this list will generate a wealth of advice.

I don't know that much about C-Bus, I have used the Idratek
(www.idratek.co=
m)
system, but I believe that C-Bus does have some sensors in it's range, so
you might want the pink Cat-5 cable run to various points in the ceiling,
for example. Sensor positioning can be a bit of an art, so depends on your
requirements.

You might also want to consider how to automate table/standard lamps, which
implies dedicated 3A/5A socket outlets wired back to Node-0 if they are to
be included in your automation scheme.

Although it's probably a heresy on this list :-), there are people who feel
that HA systems can actually cause problems with selling houses to
technophobes, and so you might want to consider whether your wiring scheme
should allow retrofit of dumb switches by including switch wires back to
your node-0, this obviously depends on your circumstances.

I have wired every door in my house for magnetic reed switches (aids in
presence detection algorithms), I wish I had also done this for window
contacts so that the house could save me running round checking the windows
every time I go out. I'm now too scared to make any more dents in the new
plaster to add them :-)

Cheers,

David

PS: There's always one more wire ...