From: Brad Salmon
To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
Sent: Tuesday, August 08, 2006 8:56 AM
Subject: [ukha_d] OT: USB 1.1 limitations

Hi all,

Apologies for the OT and long post but at a dead end and I'm sure
one of you knowledgable chaps could point me in the right direction.

The basic problem is that I've bought myself a 1GB Sandisk SD card
and SD card reader, but can only write about 580 MB worth of data to
it. I initially switched cards and readers around but to no avail,
hence got a friend to try it on their computer - and it worked
effortlessly.

The only initial difference between these machines is that they're
running XP Home, whereas my machines are running XP Pro. I've also
tried all the kit out on a family members XP Pro machine and it too
has the same problem - furthermore their 1GB USB Pendrive was
topping out at about 800MB.

So I'm wondering if this could be a USB 1.1 vs 2.0 problem? Does
USB1.1 have a limitation of the amount of data that it can
read/write? I've tried googling but could only find transfer rates
and no specific info.

One final twist. The friend (whose machine it worked on) left enough
files on the card to almost fill it up. Once in tis state the same
card and reader was quite happy to add/remove etc from the card but
as soon as I wiped it clean I had the same issues again.

Thanks in advance for any advice. I've started looking into the
USBSTOR.SYS driver as it would appear that all USB mass storage
devices use this driver, but there seems to be very few alternatives.

Roll on Tuesday,

Brad