RE: Bump keys

  • Subject: RE: Bump keys
  • From: "Dave Sussman" <davids@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 8 Aug 2006 12:31:35 +0100

OK, since my brother is too busy, I'm posting his reply:

There are a number of biometric locks around that have been designed for
the hotel market. Most of these are coming out of China. In the UK most
of the bio sensors are designed for access equipment and hence require a
12v input.

The problem with any bio sensor is the suitability for use outside with
the elements and especially the sun as this can have an affect upon
whether the fingerprint is read correctly.

There are three main types of sensor: capacitive (lowest cost), optical
and swipe. The capacitive is more prone to damage as the sensor is
exposed to the elements and static can l it easily. The optical sensor
is the preferred as this is protected by glass. Swipe is what is on most
laptops.

Also, all sensors are powered by battery and you have to consider what
happens when the battery goes flat. For a domestic environment you need
to fail safe which means you need to provide key access in an emergency.
Therefore, do you take your key all the time just in case or leave it
with a neighbour?

I am looking at a suitable device for the standalone market which would
suit HA or even a sensor that will work with people such as O2M8. We
will be developing our own biometric fingerprint reader next year using
a sensor from Taiwan. This will be aimed at the industrial/commercial
market rather than the home market as this is still very small in volume
terms. Until HA becomes mainstream and at a price point that low cost
intruder and cctv systems are at then we will probably just badge a
Chinese product for our portfolio.

Of
> Jamie Bennett
> Sent: 07 August 2006 20:31
> To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
> Subject: Re: [ukha_d] Bump keys
>
> On 07/08/06, Martin Howell <martin.howell@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > I did some digging on fingerprint locks, not surprisingly they
all
are