[OT]CAT5 and CAT6 termination

  • Subject: [OT]CAT5 and CAT6 termination
  • From: "michael.furlong" <ukha@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2006 09:34:38 +0100

Folks,

After a bit of information on CAT5e and CAT6.

I was wondering if any of you have info on the number of CAT5E and CAT6
terminations an experienced terminator would be expected to achieve in a
working day. This is termination only of pre-installed wiring. Also looking
for some idea of the time to test both CAT5 and CAT6.

I know that for certain CAT6 systems such as AMP you can use their special
termination tool which terminates all 4 pairs at once without having to
untwist the individual pairs. Any thoughts on these systems? Do they speed
up installation and who apart from AMP does them? Also can these systems be
used with CAT5E.

We currently use standard punchdown tools and 90% of our work is CAT5E but
we have been asked to quote for 3 sites total 4000 terminations about 70-30
ratio CAT6 to CAT5E and I am struggling to price them. Does CAT6 command a
significant premium over CAT5? I have a CAT6 trained guy but he doesn't
know
anything on the pricing.

Thanks in advance for any help and sorry for the OT post.

Cheers
Mick