RE: [OT]CAT5 and CAT6 termination

  • Subject: RE: [OT]CAT5 and CAT6 termination
  • From: "Danny Dawson" <dannyd4315@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2006 09:01:57 +0000

Mick,

We can normally terminate about 60 heads an hour once you get going, about
head a minute. Then testing at the end approx 30secs per head. 15secs for
test then 15secs change over.  For Cat6 we would price about 1.5 times the
price of Cat5e for a full installation, because bend radius and
installation
is different, but if its just termination then would price the same as
Cat5e
termination.

Danny

>From: "michael.furlong" <ukha@xxxxxxx>
>To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
>Subject: [ukha_d] [OT]CAT5 and CAT6 termination
>Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2006 09:34:38 +0100
>
>Folks,
>
>After a bit of information on CAT5e and CAT6.
>
>I was wondering if any of you have info on the number of CAT5E and CAT6
>terminations an experienced terminator would be expected to achieve in
>working day. This is termination only of pre-installed wiring. Also
looking
>for some idea of the time to test both CAT5 and CAT6.
>
>I know that for certain CAT6 systems such as AMP you can use their
special
>termination tool which terminates all 4 pairs at once without having to
>untwist the individual pairs. Any thoughts on these systems? Do they
speed
>up installation and who apart from AMP does them? Also can these
systems be
>used with CAT5E.
>
>We currently use standard punchdown tools and 90% of our work is CAT5E
but
>we have been asked to quote for 3 sites total 4000 terminations about
70-30
>ratio CAT6 to CAT5E and I am struggling to price them. Does CAT6
command a
>significant premium over CAT5? I have a CAT6 trained guy but he doesn't
>know
>anything on the pricing.
>
>Thanks in advance for any help and sorry for the OT post.
>
>Cheers
>Mick

26/04/2006