RE: XPL - XAP

From: Chris Hunter [mailto:cjhunter@xxxxxxx]
> Before too long, we will need to buy appliances for the new house ...
> and Siemens have an offer to add EIB to some of their ovens, fridges,
> freezers, washing-machines, dishwashers, tumble-driers, etc ... 50Euro
> per item, for full control & status (on/off, open/closed,
start/stop,
> settings, etc) ... but our network will be Idratek, not EIB !

I'm at a loss to understand the benefits for this, other than UKHA-factor!

> Our cars have computerised everything, including SatNav, and it would
be
> handy to be able to check status (locked/unlocked, fuel & service
> situation, etc) & plan trips & download data from anywhere in
the house
> ... via Idratek.

That's got to be possible.  You'll need a way to get the data, a way to get
it into the house, and a way to use it.  To get the data, you need a device
to connect to the OBD-II output, and read the data.  You'll also need to
get the data into the house (probably wirelessly).  One solution would be
an OBD > Serial adapter, and a wireless serial transmitter.  A wireless
receiver in the garage would be needed to pick up the signal and transfer
it to a serial device (say, a PC).  The data coming into the serial port
would then need to be translated into xAP/xPL messages.

> Our Pure DAB radio has USB ... and it would handy to be able to link
it
> to Idratek, for relaying about the house - to be able to listen
anywhere
> / everywhere, via Idratek MFP, and on lap-tops ...
>
> Our ancient HP-41 / HP3421A data-logger, with HP-IL ...
>
> Nigel's Rafiki Twinflex fire-alarm system ...

You're going to need a xAP/xPL connector for each of those devices.
msdn.microsoft.com is that way > ;-)

Cheers,
Andy