From: ukha_d@xxxxxxx [mailto:ukha_d@xxxxxxx] On Behalf
Of markttay
Sent: 17 September 2005 15:04
To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
Subject: [ukha_d] Re: [OT] I can't take it anymore!

Hi Don,

Mark has suggested the Ubuntu Linux distribution as a really easy
install and I agree that it is. However, I can't help thinking that
having all three of your XP machines crashing to the point they have to
be rebuilt in a 6 week period is rather alarming.
People on this list and many others will argue religiously about the
goods and bads of Windows versus Linux versus Mac but on the whole XP is
pretty stable and certainly not prone to crashing to the point it needs
to be rebuilt without very serious provocation - usually by errant
hardware or hardware device drivers, and certainly if it has happened
more than once (you mention "the Nth time") that is a strong
indicator
of a hardware problem. Linux still has to interface with the various
bits of hardware on your machine, and while it is unlikely to crash in
the same way as Windows has for you it will probably create some pretty
weird behavior.

Migrating between OS is not something to be taken on lightly, unless you
are really into that kind of thing, so it may be worth checking out the
hardware and drivers of your machines before doing it.

Mark