Re: [OT] I can't take it anymore!

  • Subject: Re: [OT] I can't take it anymore!
  • From: "markttay" <markttay@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2005 14:04:05 -0000

Hi Don,

Mark has suggested the Ubuntu Linux distribution as a really easy
install and I agree that it is. However, I can't help thinking that
having all three of your XP machines crashing to the point they have
to be rebuilt in a 6 week period is rather alarming.
People on this list and many others will argue religiously about the
goods and bads of Windows versus Linux versus Mac but on the whole
XP is pretty stable and certainly not prone to crashing to the point
it needs to be rebuilt without very serious provocation - usually by
errant hardware or hardware device drivers, and certainly if it has
happened more than once (you mention "the Nth time") that is
strong indicator of a hardware problem. Linux still has to interface
with the various bits of hardware on your machine, and while it is
unlikely to crash in the same way as Windows has for you it will
probably create some pretty weird behavior.

Migrating between OS is not something to be taken on lightly, unless
you are really into that kind of thing, so it may be worth checking
out the hardware and drivers of your machines before doing it.

Mark