[OT] ish Plastering over old sockets

  • Subject: [OT] ish Plastering over old sockets
  • From: "kw1816" <kw1816@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 07:55:17 -0000

I've just spent a wonderful two days chipping tiles off our kitchen
walls and have uncovered one or two surprises. First off  was the
three, yes three, eight  inch holes for the cooker hood extractor, 2
of which had simply been tiled over on the inside and a piece of
wood screwed over the outside.  Nice. And do you think any of them
are in the right place for the new hood .........   AAAARRRGGHHHH !

The other surprise was the backboxes for old sockets.  These were
also tiled over and a quick prod with the voltage detector shows
they're live, with the T&E in a bit of choc strip.  We don't need
the sockets and want to plaster the walls so I'm wondering what's
the best way to deal with them.

The bodge part of me wants to squirt a bit of expanding foam in the
backbox and skim over the top but I'm not convinced it's the best
way to do it. They're on the same ring as the rest of the kitchen
sockets.

An suggestions ??

Ta
Kevin.