Latest message you have seen: RE: Re: Bathroom project - Cbus style lighting system....1 room only though!!

Re: Cybiko for inexpensive wireless comms

  • Subject: Re: Cybiko for inexpensive wireless comms
  • From: "Patrick Lidstone" <patrick@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2005 10:30:46 -0000

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "Mark Harrison (Groups)" <mph@a...>
wrote:

> On Mon, 2005-10-17 at 11:13 +0100, Pete Shew wrote:
> > Hmm. xAP seems a tad verbose for the tight world of CAN and PICs
which
> > is
> > where my application sits. Why does xAP not use XML as the
messages
> > are
> > self defining, which XML does quite well, and for which there is
> > load of
> > software?
>
> On the XML question, that was, in fact, my original proposal when the
> "concept" of coming up with a protocol for home automation
was
> originally raised.
>
> It was overwhelmingly rejected on the basis that xAP _was_ lightweight
> enough for native implementation on systems like PIC, and XML wasn't.
>
> xPL likewise lends itself to ultra-lightweight implementations.
>
> There are certainly various people who have implemented xAP on PICs...
> believe that xPL likewise has several different PIC implementations.

A simple xAP message parser example (a couple of hundred bytes or so)
can be found here:

http://patrick.lidstone.net/haweb/serial.zip

I don't think I could write a fully compliant xml parser in the same
code space. If you want to leverage the undeniable power of xml,
conversion of xAP messages into XML by rule is trivial, and from there
you can apply xpath or whatever - works well.

Patrick