Re: Re: newbie help please - long post

Hi,

Maybe like me you are a bit budget constrained for a SONOS, nice as they=20
look.

I am about to fit speakers in my En-suite and Bathroom. I've looked long=20
and hard for cheap speakers (as the major use will be for breakfast=20
radio travel reports so not =C2=A3300+ ones). I narrowed it down to two
mai=
n=20
types, a single speaker with two tweeters such as a Russound SPC522
(for example http://www.hiddenspeakers.com/product/229
)
(but note that this probably has a common connection for each side so=20
there are wiring limitations as discussed in one of Keith D.'s postings=20
recently - see the archives)

or various pairs of single waterproof/resistant speakers.

CPC have a special offer on at the moment on 4 ohm speakers but the mini=20
system I want to use is 8 ohm so I went for CPC part number LS02024=20
Marine 8 Ohm 6 inch white speakers at 9.70 plus VAT each. These came in=20
boxes with two web addresses on. One for the manufacturer is=20
www.aqsound.com  and there are data sheets for this and other speakers.=20
They also have other goodies but the speakers are more expensive than=20
via CPC. The other is pad.co.uk who have a wide range of speakers as=20
well.

For switching I have ordered a QED Transmatch SS50 from aqsound as they=20
were cheaper than other sources I've found on the web. This is four/five=20
ways but can be configured so as not to present too low an impedance=20
back to the amp. Simple two/three way ones drop the impedance too much.

As I'm not tiling/decorating the rooms I'm not doing anything about=20
local volume controls at this stage. Likewise no remote source control.=20
Maybe next house. I did research them though - have a look at
http://www.hiddenspeakers.com/category/9
for ideas.

Let us know what you decide to do - I'm still waiting for bathroom=20
lights to come in before running cables and cutting holes. Probably too=20
boring for photographs. If you have any other questions let me know.

Simon

In message <d0mbt4+9q3a@xxxxxxx>, vex220 <cmw@xxxxxxx>=20
writes

>Here you go.
>
>> > 1. Distribution of AV to more than one room - At present I
have a
>> > DVD, Sky box, VHS, X-box, CD/Minidisc all running through a
Yamaha
>> > DSP A2 amp into a Panasonic Widescreen TV. I want to be able
>> > distribute this to the lounge and bedroom with IR control,
maybe
>> > even housing all the equipment in Node 0. I have seen a new
Yamaha
>> > amp that has 3 zones -  2 video and 1 audio only - how do I
get
>> the
>> > signals to the right place. Do I use some of the stuff I've
seen
>> on
>> > www.kat5.tv or do I buy very long s-vhs leads
>
>Have alook at AV Nex and thier Nexus product. It is a AV switching
>matrix all over CAT5e cables, both inputs and outputs can be located
>throughout the house. Composite Video, L&R Audio and IR
distribution
>all the way back to the specific devices you are using.
>

>> > 2. Whole house audio =E2=80=93 I know top end systems are out
of my pr=
ice
>> > range, so just some hardwired speakers in the kitchen,
bedrooms
>> and
>> > maybe bathroom will do. I have an Ipod and have seen the
Seaonce
>> > port which I like and would want to use this as the main
library
>> of
>> > songs anyone know how this connects to the amp and how do I
>> control
>> > the volume in each room
>
>As mentioned else where, look at www.sonos.com, it is audio media
>player but its advantage is that it includes a amp in its receiver.
>Meaning you only need some speakers!
>

>> > 3. Lighting =E2=80=93 I love the idea of auto occupancy
lighting, but =
I am
>> > unsure of what other levels of control this offers? Do I opt
for
>> > hardwired pir or the stcik on RF versions
>
>No answer on the PIR and Occupancy detection but alternatives to the
>scenen lighting and dimming requirements could be Rako Controls. Very
>easy to retro fit to an existing property
>
>Hope that helps
>

>Yahoo! Groups Links

--=20
Simon Pawson