Re: Re: Wanted - two pair cable for 12VDC and RS485

I always thought UTP was preferable more for practical and financial
reasons in non-hostile environments:

1. Customers don't like the cost - roughly 2*
2. Installers don't like the extra termination effort and SOME (note:
no generalisation implied) don't understand the earthing requirements
- I have seen STP installations that relied upon the active kit to
provide the earth - no earthing to the cab or panels.....Two problems
with this - no guarantees with regards to the active kit internal
earthing arrangement. Also, it is often connected by UTP patch cables!
Doh!