Latest message you have seen: Re: What Multimeter? General HA Use

6.1 / 7.1 Speaker placement

  • Subject: 6.1 / 7.1 Speaker placement
  • From: "White, Peter" <peter.white@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 07:48:58 +0100

Mornin'.
=20
Today's job is running the speaker cables for the new house, including
thos=
into the lounge for the home theatre system.  There's a lot of
conflicting/confusing advice on the web, so I thought I'd ask here for
opinions.....
=20
Firstly, I'm not sure whether to go for 6.1 or 7.1.  I'll be buying the amp
for this, so have both options, but equally I can't spend several thousand
on one, most likely it'll be around the =A3700 mark.
=20
The next question is speaker placement; currently plans are for the 3
front=
to be mounted in the wall at ear level.  This is a room which is around
30f=
x 14ft, with the TV at 1 end of the room.  There's also a dining table
goin=
in there, so in terms of the seating area, it takes up around 2/3s of the
room.
=20
The sub will sit on the floor somewhere near the TV wall.  Then it's the
rears (3 or 4 depending on 6.1 or 7.1).  Ideally I'd like to put them in
th=
ceiling.  Does anyone see a problem with this?  I can build some sort of
acoustic shield around them so that not too much noise fires upwards into
the kids bedrooms.  Option 2 is to have them in the wall, and option 3 is
t=
have them on floor-standing mounts, but this is a distant third as the
layout of the room does really allow for easy placement.

Here's some half-arsed ASCII-art to hopefully illustrate the point...

__FL________CTR______FR__
I		TV		I
I Sub				I
I				I
I	     sofa		I
I RL			   RR I
I				I
I				I
I				I
I	RL	    RR	I
I				I
I				I
I				I
I				I
I				I
I				I
I				I
I				I
I				I

Would the ideal option be to have the the back set of rears in the ceiling,
and the front set of rears in the wall?

Any help most welcome!

Thanks

Pete=20