RE: Serial connection over Cat5 getting corrupted

  • Subject: RE: Serial connection over Cat5 getting corrupted
  • From: "Paul Gale" <groups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2005 10:06:59 +0100

That's interesting - I checked the wiring and I had used a pair for Rx/Tx.
=
The serial port is port 8 of an 8 port card (PCI).

I swapped it over to another PC and it seems to work perfectly!

Looks like either a faulty 8 port serial card or noise etc in the PC???

Paul.

sur=
> which wires they're running on but I have a feeling they won't be on a
> pair! I'll try that first.
>=20
> Thanks!
>=20
> Paul.
>=20

improvement in
> > my experience. I can only think this is due to minimisation of
cross
> > talk, RS-232 is single ended and not balanced so you do not get
the
> > same common mode 'noise immunity' as with a technology designed
for
> > twisted pair, such as Ethernet or RS-485.
> >
> > I think it safe to assume that you already have the cat5 in place
and
> > want to use it - an alternative cable is probably least
favourable. If
> > 2 way comms is involved, status and control, and it is critical -
i.e.
> > you would like your fish to survive and loosing comms would
reduce the
> > likely hood of this, then I would not risk the possibility of
'just
> > getting by' on cat5. In my opinion there are too many
> > variables.....new sources of noise having unforeseen effects,
> > degradation of the interface electronics leading to attenuated
signal
> > or jitter etc.
> >
> > My solution would be either purchase one of the MSS100s and have
it
> > talk to a virtual com port, or (being more sociable) purchase a
pair
> > and have them talk to each other and provide a physical RS-232 at
Node
> > 0. Alternatively use a pair of RS-232 to RS-485 converters and
match
> > the line technology to the wire in use.
> >
> > Good luck.
> >
> > David
> >

> > On 7/13/05, Paul Gale <groups@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> > > I've just wired up my aquarium computer (RS232) via my
structured Cat=
5