RE: Sanity check... switching a PC for A/V amp & projector to monitor and headphones

  • Subject: RE: Sanity check... switching a PC for A/V amp & projector to monitor and headphones
  • From: "Phil Harris" <phil@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 1 Jul 2005 07:28:39 +0100

> The first bit is pretty easy - a wireless k/b with touch pad=20
> or track ball.  I would probably go RF to remove any=20
> potential IR issues.  Of course the keyboard could also be=20
> used on the desk (+1 for RF again) and I am assuming if they=20
> wanted to use a standard mouse then if one was plugged into a=20
> USB port in the PC you could use either the touchpad/track=20
> ball or the mouse just as you would with a laptop when a=20
> mouse is connected.

Look at something like the Gyration wireless keyboard / mouse sets as they
have a damn sight better range than normal RF stuff - they do a 9m range
se=
and (IIRC) a 25m range set (about =A3100 and =A3250 respectively IIRC).
=20
> I am assuming the video is not a big problem. If I use a 2=20
> way VGA splitter I can plug the PC vga output into both the=20
> projector vga and the monitor.  If the user is looking at a=20
> DVD/TV then the source will change from VGA to component or=20
> DVI (dependant on how the sources are connected to the=20
> projector).  I would assume the PC would need to be set at a=20
> resolution the projector can support.

The projector should be able to rescale the PC input to whatever it needs
but ideally you should run at native resolution to give the best image -
however if your projector is a 16:9 one (as it is likely to be) then you
will get the same resolution being used on the projector *AND* the monitor
if you are using a VGA splitter so you'll probably end up running at
something like 1024 x 768 (which would probably work best with something
like a 15" LCD and a home theatre projector which will typically have
eithe=
a 720 or 768 vertical resolution) or 1280 x 1024 (which would probably work
best with a 17" LCD but be over the native res of all but decent data
projectors).

> Audio again is not a big problem.  If the PC audio is fed=20
> into the a/v amp then if they are using the pc they will get=20
> sound from the PC through the main speakers.  If they switch=20
> sources to watch a dvd/tv or play an XBox game then there is=20
> no need to switch the PC audio to another set of speakers,=20
> merely to get them to plug some headphones in if the PC user=20
> wants to continue listening to the PC audio.  On that note=20
> does anyone know of a set of headphones with an inline switch=20
> that would allow them to be permenantly plugged into the PC=20
> but only switched on when needed?

Be aware that most PCs seem to have the option of *EITHER* SP/DIF (digital
audio output) *OR* analogue audio output but not both at the same time so
i=
you are running a digital audio feed into the amp then you probably won't
b=
getting a simultaneous analogue stereo audio feed to be able to have
headphones plugged into.

> Other than that it all seems straightforward but I am doing=20
> this at 4 am so lack of sleep could be simplifying the=20
> scenarios in my head and making me state the bleeding obvious!

Straightforward(ish) bit with a bit of a sting in the tail at a few
places...

Phil