Latest message you have seen: Xbox Dashboard error 21

Re: XP vs MCE2005

  • Subject: Re: XP vs MCE2005
  • From: "Keith Finnett" <keith@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2005 16:16:45 -0000

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "Phil Harris" <phil@a...> wrote:

> According to Micro$ofts own "analysis tools" my 1.7 GHz
Pentium M
laptop
> would be more than sufficient to handle 1080i *IF* it had a 128Mb
graphics
> "card" in it. M$ reckon a 64Mb graphics subsystem isn't up
to the
job of
> 1080i. Passes the 720p specs no problem.
>
> In reality it has played every bit of 1080i source material that
I've thrown
> at it at the full 1920 x 1080 resolution (not downscaled to suit
an 852 x
> 480 plasma or whatever).
>
> Phil

Phil, this tallies with some lab benchmarks done in terms of
relative performance of a P4/PM. They showed that using the on-board
GPU the M was swamped and consequently ran like a dog. Put in a half
decent graphics card, and it's fine.

Therefore a 256MB desktop card (one without fan) should be more than
adequate, all things being equal. I say should, as i've not yet
tried it....

Keith