Latest message you have seen: RE: IR controlled power strip/plug?

RE: Re: XP vs MCE2005

  • Subject: RE: Re: XP vs MCE2005
  • From: "Phil Harris" <phil@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2005 15:50:00 -0000

> --- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "gigtekmediacomputers" > >
> >
> > > http://www.automatedhome.co.uk/postp1126.html#1126
> >
> > Don't know of anyone that has built a Pentium-M Media Center yet.
> > Have been thinking about it though and in principle this should
be
> > fine if at the lower end of performance range. Would have
concerns
> > over its ability to do 720p or 1080i
> >

> I also agree on the 720p/1080i point. My consideration for
> this was that I don't need it today, and in theory it should
> work with a mid- to high-spec M. This could be added later
> (when prices have dropped on the high-end Ms) as and when the
> high-def formats appear for broadcast. I would not be using
> the media centre as my source for DVD material, as I have a
> decent AV setup for this already - in terms of pure AV the
> media centre for me is for TV, PVR, audio, pictures, and some
> stored video.

According to Micro$ofts own "analysis tools" my 1.7 GHz Pentium M
laptop
would be more than sufficient to handle 1080i *IF* it had a 128Mb graphics
"card" in it. M$ reckon a 64Mb graphics subsystem isn't up to the
job of
1080i. Passes the 720p specs no problem.

In reality it has played every bit of 1080i source material that I've
thrown
at it at the full 1920 x 1080 resolution (not downscaled to suit an 852 x
480 plasma or whatever).

Phil