Latest message you have seen: RE: IR controlled power strip/plug?

RE: Re: XP vs MCE2005

  • Subject: RE: Re: XP vs MCE2005
  • From: "Phil Harris" <phil@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2005 15:43:09 -0000

> -----Original Message-----
> From: gigtekmediacomputers [mailto:stuartmc@xxxxxxx]
> Sent: 29 January 2005 13:10
> To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
> Subject: [ukha_d] Re: XP vs MCE2005

<<SNIP>>

Have you guys managed to solve the problem of the absolutely abysmal
s-video
(and composite video) output quality from PC graphics cards yet?

For example - if I were to plug a TiVo / PACE Twin PVR / Thomson DHD4000
PVR
/ Gigtek Media PC into a bog-standard living room TV would I be as happy
with the quality of output on the menus and playback on the Gigtek Media PC
as I would on the other units?

This has / was always my big issue with HTPC type front ends - they just
looked pants when piped out by s-video (and it's bloody hard to get a video
resolution interlaced RGB SCART output from a PC). The Xbox front end looks
perfectly presentable whether by composite / s-video / component / SCART
RGB
/ hi-def progressive scan component as does the PS2 (OK - haven't tried
that
with hi-def but you know what I mean) so the actual generating of a good
quality video resolution image isn't difficult. Hell, Sigma Designs are
doing the same with their Hollywood+ and Xcard MPEG decoders and those
cards
have a great video output stage.

Phil