Re: [OT] ish: Need a new switch

moogman_98 wrote:

>So, I guess my question (finally) is this: Does anyone know of a 24
>port or more switch (managed or unmanaged) that has gigabit uplink
>(either fibre or copper) and most importantly... IS QUIET!

Not a route I would suggest as there must be quiet or even fanless
designs out there... but I found some Netgear FSM726S 24 port managed
switches with 2 x Gb uplinks on eBay and when I plugged them in they
sounded like a vacuum cleaner :-( which was very disappointing as one
was destined for my lounge AV rack.  They were a bargain price so I took
the plunge and just disconnected one and then both fans, running just
for a few secs / then mins to see if there was a heat problem.  I judged
they were OK and the fans were over cautious . The cases run warm but
not hot. I now have three of these running in racks (6 months) without
fans although I have not sandwich mounted them and the racks are
reasonably well ventilated , two are open back/sided.  I've just taken
the risk that they might die one day.  This email has probaly just
precipitated that... touches wood.

Kevin