Re: Sky / Sky + dial home - what is it up to

  • Subject: Re: Sky / Sky + dial home - what is it up to
  • From: "patrick_o_matic" <patrick@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 09:50:08 -0000

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "Chris Purves" <CHRIS_PURVES@M...>

wrote:

> > Does the VOIP service use CLI and broadcast your phone number? If
> the phone
> > number info is not broadcast then Sky cannot identify your call
or
> update
> > their systems to show you are connected to the phone line -
you'll
soon
> > start to get letters about the lack of phone connection and
threats to
> > charge the full subscription rates for your second STB.

Depends on the VOIP service. Many providers will allow you to set CLI
to match either one or more incoming numbers they provide to you, or
if you provide them with a copy of a BT bill, will allow the CLI to
mirror that of your BT line.

Running a modem over a VOIP circuit is a bit hit-and-miss, so if the
Sky box does anything more than just attempt a call, you may need to
fiddle with codec choices and turn off echo cancellation.

HTH

Patrick