Re: [OT] Measuring carpet...

Hmmm, I didn't want to mention the actual company but as you have then, yes
it was Carpet "Right"...

Summary of the story:
- Misses wanted to get new carpet for the stairs so I gave her the
measurements (worked out that we need ~5 square meters).
- She goes to Carpet Right and is told that she needs 2.6m off a 4 meter
roll
- She comes home and I can't for the life of me figure out why we need so
much (10.4 square meters)
- I ring Carpet "Right" and query this and the guy assumes I know
nothing
about the way the carpet is cut/measured and manages to fob me off telling
me; "There will be some wastage, but not much"
- On top of that, I ask whether I can use my own grippers (they were
charging =A31.75 per gripper when I could have got 100 from Screwfix for =
=A323).
They said "Not really" as the fitter may charge extra for
installing non
Carpet "Right" grippers and that they would affect the warranty.

So, looks like I've been well and truly had.
This is our first time buying carpet and certainly our last time from these
cowboys.
It's not that I mind having (quite a bit of) spare carpet - it's just the
fact I feel I've been conned.
The fitter seemed very surprised that we were only having the stairs done
given the amount of carpet he'd been given.

As for the fitter, decent enough guy - I left him to it.
I (mistakenly) thought that, having seen the pressure mats he knew what
the=
were and would take suitable care.
Either that or ask me what they were etc.
So I guess I'm to blame for that.

Cheers,
Andy.

On 12/12/05, Paul Gordon <paul@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> Can't answer your question Andy, but I just hope it wasn't Carpetright
> that did this... - if so, you will discover that they don't actually
empl=
oy
> their fitters and will disavow themselves of any responsibility
whatsoeve=
> for the quality of the work they do, or any damage they cause to your
> property whilst doing it... - If you are considering seeking
recompense f=
or
> the damage to your pressure mats, Carpetright (Crappetright in my
books!)
> will just tell you to take it up with the fitter personally...
>
> Paul G.

an=