Re: [OT] Measuring carpet...

On Mon, 2005-12-12 at 16:18 +0000, Andrew Kilgore wrote:

> If there's anyone on this list who knows the ins and outs of how to
> calculate the required amount of carpet given the actual size of the
> room/stairs can they please contact me offlist. Think I've been had
> (i.e.
> given twice as much carpet than I actually need) and want to make sure
> before I start shouting the odds.

Andy,

I re-carpet about a property every six months, so I've been around the
block a few times.

Having read to the end of your thread, it looks like you've been well
and truly "had".

However, I would question the "the fitter is independent"
argument - who
did you pay for the fitting? Whoever you paid is the person (the legal
term "person" can be a company, not necessarily an individual)
with whom
you have a contract. I suspect that a threat that you will take them to
the small claims court for the damages that they have caused may bring
out some offer of compensation.

As an aside, if they ignore you, download the SCC paperwork off the web,
fill it in, and drop it round with a covering letter saying "I have
filled in the Small Claims Court paperwork as attached. If I do not hear
from you with a satisfactory offer of compensation within 7 days I will
lodge it with the court" - this tends to work rather better than a
blustering "I'll take you to court" statement, which they
probably hear
day in, day out :-)

In terms of your next carpet fitting - I'd remind you of the oft-quoted
phrase in anything to do with property - "get a personal
recommendation." If you happen to live in either Orpington, Crawley or
Eastbourne, where I have good fitting contacts and need another carpet
fitted, then drop me a note offlist :-)

Alternatively, do what I normally do - go to the local landlords' group
(the meetings are normally free even to non-members) - and ask for a
recommendation there. Landlords have two characteristics that may be
useful - firstly, the experienced ones have a regular flow of
re-carpeting needs, since a carpet-fitout every ten years, times a
portfolio of 10 properties, averages a carpet-fitout a year. Secondly,
we tend to be, and I believe that I may have to use the vernacular here,
"tight buggers" when it comes to spending money, and tend to
prefer
people who know what they're doing, and won't rip us off :-) What you
won't find us doing, however, is knowing ANYTHING about expensive
carpets that have _such_ a wonderful pattern, darling :-) :-)

(Advert - anyone who needs laminate / wooden floors fitted, and is in
West Sussex - I can well recommend my handyman - provided you keep him
stocked with bacon sarnies and coffee, he works very hard .)

Regards,

Mark