RE: Using WindowsXP to Make RAID 5 Happen

  • Subject: RE: Using WindowsXP to Make RAID 5 Happen
  • From: "Ian Lowe" <ian.lowe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 5 Aug 2005 10:41:59 +0100

Phil - at this point, would it not be a lot safer to remove the firewire
drives from their caddies, and "go native"?

You remember how much I bitched/whined/moaned about the Rocketraid 404 card
in the past - since the firmware got sorted out, that card has been utterly
stable in my media server (and on NT4 server of all things). I had a
genuine bona-fide disk failure (rather than a sync loss) and it coped
perfectly.

I'm now at the limits of my first build (the heady heights of .6Tb, 4x200Gb
Raid 5) and am looking at one of the coolermaster Stacker cases (ten bays,
seven of them front loadable)

The RR404 only has four controllers on board, hence 8 drives - I believe
that you can run two of them in a PC though.

I'm just thinking, that's a lot of pain to go through, and I can't help but
think you wouldn't have the same hell on straight IDE rather than firewire.

Ian.