Re: Using WindowsXP to Make RAID 5 Happen

>> Do you know if there is any way I can check whether I have
>> been having any disconnects/reconnects/rebuilds?

>Yup - the whole lot drops offline and then (in my case with 2 arrays of
8 x
>160Gb drives each) would then take about a day to rebuild.

Not had that happen fortunately - our kiosk pc in the kitchen runs 24/7
showing family snaps (from the media PC) & SWMBO would soon let me know
if
they were off air for any time!

>> It would be a pain if I lost the data, but not a disaster as
>> I have all the films on DVD's and the music and pictures are
>> backed up elsewhere.

>That's what I told myself...

>...but after ripping my entire collection of DVDs for the fourth time
(about
>350-400 of them at the last count) the novelty wore off a tad!

Sounds horrendous -:(     Hopefully not going down that road.

>> Guess I need to investigate other strategies -:(

>At the moment I'm looking at Macs and - whether it's possible to run
UnionFS
>(or similar) on them...

Will have a look but would prefer not (nothing against Macs by the way,
just
a bit shell shocked from too many architectures since I've been involved
with computers). But by resolve might be loosened if I suffer the problems
you've had.

John