RE: OT speaker cable - is it worth it ??

  • Subject: RE: OT speaker cable - is it worth it ??
  • From: "Hawes,Timothy Edward \(GEG\)" <haweste@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2004 07:00:22 +0100

The issues I see are of future identification and flexibility. You can
see what happens to the cable at each end (so know it's for the
speakers) but if you need to break into the middle of the run you're
effectively working blind. With a dedicated type of cable (of whatever
quality) things are much clearer - you (or a subsequent sparky) will
*know* it's speaker cable.

Flexibility - I have my AV setup in a wheeled rack and, while I don't
move it that frequently, I can image that having to wrestle with 8-off
twin & earth's just to get the rack back wouldn't be too much fun. I
also found the speaker cable much easier to route than the T&E I was
running during the same re-wire. Your client's setup may be different
though :-)

Costs ?

* 2.5 mm2 T&E at Screwfix is 17 quid
(http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/sea/searchresults.jsp;jsessionid=EQIGC0
2FFSEYPCJO2C3CHPQ?_dyncharset=UTF-8&q=19193&n=&pn=1&pd=1&pi=1&cn=1&cd=1&
x=0&y=0)

* 79 strand (2.5 mm2) Speaker cable from CPC is 25 quid, plus VAT
http://custom1.farnell.com/cpc/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=cpc+catalogue&;
category%5Fname=&product%5Fid=254815

I went for speaker cable, the price delta wasn't huge and I found it
very easy to run.

HTH,

Tim H.

+