Re: External USB drive cases.

Mark McCall wrote:

> I currently have an old Pentium Pro 200 as the "Jukebox"
machine.

> If I got one of these...
> http://tinyurl.com/2lukm
>
> I could simply plug it into the firewire port of one of the other
machines
> in the rack and do away with the Jukebox machine completely.
Questions...
> 1. How would the speed of reading disks in this external enclosure
compare
> to the current PC setup?  Would it be up to streaming Audio and Video
> several sources simultaneously?

Given that most HDs can't saturate ATA-100 (100mbit/s?) 400Mbit/s
firewire isn't going to slow it down.

> 2. What's the performance overhead likely to be like on the PC that
it's
> plugged into, for example I could plug it into the GeoVision CCTV
machine,
> but is it likely to upset it?

Doubt it. Doesn't seem to bother my mac having 2 external 300Gb drives.

> 3. Anyone know of a rackmount version of this kinda of thing?

Closest you can get is the Lacie d2 drives with their rackmount kit I
think. Sadly nobody seems to make dedicated rackmount disc boxes that
don't cost the earth :-(

Jim