Re: External USB drive cases.

  • Subject: Re: External USB drive cases.
  • From: "Chris Bond" <chrisbonduk@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 09 Jul 2004 12:23:50 -0000

> 1. How would the speed of reading disks in this external enclosure=20
compare
> to the current PC setup?  Would it be up to streaming Audio and=20
Video to
> several sources simultaneously?

If you use firewire 800 it'll be pritty good.
=20
> 2. What's the performance overhead likely to be like on the PC=20
that it's
> plugged into, for example I could plug it into the GeoVision CCTV=20
machine,
> but is it likely to upset it?

Usually best to seperate it depends on cpu usage etc and how much=20
constant reads/writes you do.
=20
> 3. Anyone know of a rackmount version of this kinda of thing?

I was looking for it myself, but I love the specialtech case but it=20
lacks hardware raid, i dont trust software raid.

The best i've seen really so far on my travels are:

http://www.tmc-uk.com/Products/enclosure/rackmount/rm_2u.htm

The RM215 SATA Version is =A3406, you also need a 8 channel SATA=20
Controller, the 3-ware one is about =A3315. You would need a PC in=20
there too - still works out expensive as you then need your SATA=20
disks, you can get a IDE backplane too for about the same price.

Still cheaper than buying an off the shelf solution from someone=20
like dell.