RE: External USB drive cases.

  • Subject: RE: External USB drive cases.
  • From: "Mark McCall" <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 9 Jul 2004 13:14:26 +0100

I currently have an old Pentium Pro 200 as the "Jukebox" machine.

If I got one of these...
http://tinyurl.com/2lukm

I could simply plug it into the firewire port of one of the other machines
in the rack and do away with the Jukebox machine completely.  Questions...

1. How would the speed of reading disks in this external enclosure compare
to the current PC setup?  Would it be up to streaming Audio and Video to
several sources simultaneously?

2. What's the performance overhead likely to be like on the PC that it's
plugged into, for example I could plug it into the GeoVision CCTV machine,
but is it likely to upset it?

3. Anyone know of a rackmount version of this kinda of thing?

Thanks

M.