Re: [OT] Coding style nazis

  • Subject: Re: [OT] Coding style nazis
  • From: "David Buckley" <db@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 09 Jul 2004 12:34:14 -0000

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "John Nye" <lists@j...> wrote:
> I can still remember foolishly putting my name in as Author
> in a program I wrote back in 1974. It was still there 20
> years later so i got blamed for every problem!!

The one and only cobol program I got involved in (early 80s maybe?)
was written in the mid 60s, and was originally without a single line
of comments.  Of course, when I started this task, I had zero cobol
knowledge or experience...  Anyway, it was a huge program, but most
of it was never touched from one decade to another.  Some programmer
in the 70s who got lumbered with a set of changes (very bravely) set
out to comment this monster.  There were lots of "I have no idea how
this works, but if you change it things break" type comments, plus
an attempt to document the 25 global boolean flags, entitled SWA,
SWB, SWC etc.

Anyway, at some point he altered the lead author's statement to
(with the name removed, lest this person is still alive and cares)

Author: P.R. Mxxx (and may god have mercy on her soul)

I was so badly scarrred by this monster that the authors name is
burned in my memory, instantly recallable decades later :-(((