RE: Multi port CCTV capture cards - Geovision, Avermedia etc

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Multi port CCTV capture cards - Geovision, Avermedia etc
  • From: "Paul Gale" <groups@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2004 11:27:53 -0000
  • Mailing-list: list ukha_d@yahoogroups.com; contact ukha_d-owner@xxxxxxx

ZoneMinder is very good - but it's free and doesn't offer anywhere near
the=
features that the Geovision software seems to (yet!). That was one of the =
main features + I've had some problems running Linux (hardware related I
th=
ink). I was new to Linux when I installed ZM - it was a very steep
learning=
curve but worth it for the experience and understanding alone :)

In the end, I just wanted something that I can easily administer and fix
if=
things go wrong (and such an understanding of Windows gives me that - didn=
't want to spend hours learning how to troubleshoot the O/S before getting
=
to the application!).

If you want something that does work and is cheap, the route you've gone
fo=
r will work well but will take you a lot longer to get there. Personally,
I=
liked the features the Geovision offers and the comfort running it on a fa=
miliar O/S brings :)

Paul.

Avermedi=
> etc
>=20
> Hi Paul,
>=20
> Dean has a live installation of the Geovision product for his CBus
demo -
> have you had a look at that? He may also be able to help with some
> comments.
>=20
> Putting aside the Linux aspect did you find ZM useful? Did it give you
> what you wanted?
>=20
> Back to the Linux issue, can you expand on why you want to move away
from
> it please?
>=20
> The reason I ask is because I need to put together some form of CCTV
DVR =
-
> particularly after the native wildlife activities in my back garden
last
> night!  My current Linux experience puts me close to the bottom of the
> Linux learning curve, but it is something I 'think' I would like to
> understand a little more.
>=20
> I was trying to decide on which route - GeoVision/MS or cheap card
from
> HK/Linux & ZM. Yesterday I decided to go the Linux route and went
for the
> card from HK. Now I am not so sure.......so I'm interested in your
> experiences.
>=20
> The card was only =A320 delivered but if it's going to take me hours
to e=
nd

http://www.automatedhome.co.uk=20
Post message: ukha_d@yahoogroups.com=20