Re: Re: DIY Lighting

>> Another cheap way of controlling multiple lights with the
>> same system (0-10V) is to get your hands on an old Strand
>> or Zero88 theatre lighting dimmer (get them on ebay now
>> and then for about =A390 for a 6 channel unit - dims 6
>> channels at maximum 10A per channel) ..
>
> But be wary; Zero88 is 0-10V positive, and Strand old dimmers are 0-
> 10 NEGATIVE.
Ah yes, forgot to mention that :P - I have a few converters lying=20
around though :P

> You can buy new dimmers for this price these days, with DMX512
> control, which is dead easy to bit-bang out of a PIC or whatever.
Really? Where - the prices i've seen for DMX dimmers (same as above,=20
10A,6 CH) are around =A3270.

> For years I used a Zero88 "architectural" dimmer (4 channel)
for my
> lounge lights, running LV halogens and things, and it never missed a
> beat.  The architectural dimmers are similar to the stagey dimmers
> but without 15A sockets on the front - they are hard wired.

Most theatre ones are hardwired too now, the 15A socketed ones being=20
reserved only for touring or small venues... You can get old second=20
hand hardwired ones very easily too - hmmmm ... /me wonders about using=20
this for something... anyone know of a DMX lightswitch ;)

> That room also had all of its sockets (of which there were many)
> wired back to a mains patch panel so a socket could be patched to a
> relay, a dimmer channel, or be live all the time.

You live on a stage :P  -  I'd love to have that sort of flexibility=20
back home (i guess theatre LX is probably what got me involved in the=20
whole HA thing in the first place... but SWMBO wasnt to happy with the=20
thought of IWBs all over the place ;) )

Ross

--=20
This message has been scanned for viruses and=20
dangerous content and is believed to be clean

UK Home Automation Meet 2004 - BOOK NOW!
http://www.ukha2004.com

http://www.automatedhome.co.uk=20
Post message: ukha_d@yahoogroups.com=20
Subscribe:  ukha_d-subscribe@yahoogroups.com=20