Re: Multi port CCTV capture cards - Geovision, Avermedia etc

Hi Paul,

> ZoneMinder is very good - but it's free and doesn't offer anywhere
near
the features that the Geovision software seems to (yet!). That was one of
the main features + I've had some problems running Linux (hardware related
think). I was new to Linux when I installed ZM - it was a very steep
learning curve but worth it for the experience and understanding alone :)

Thanks for giving ZM a try anyway. Can you tell me what features you
thought
were missing from ZoneMinder and which might be useful? I've been doing
multi-language support for the last few weeks and now that's out the door
I'm feeling a bit feature frisky and ready to move on to adding to and
improving functionality.

If anyone else feels like giving ZM a try, in the next couple of week I'll
be putting up an ISO that has kindly been contributed that will let you
boot
>from
installed and configured which should make things a lot easier for people
unfamiliar with Linux. Also don't forget that support is available on the
various resources and forums at zoneminder.com for any other problems.

In other news, I got a couple of the Axis-205 network cameras yesterday for
a client and I have to say that I'm highly impressed with them so far. The
picture quality and frame rate knock spots of the D-Link ones I've tried.
I'll be recommending these for most internal installations from now on I
think. They are certainly superior to USB type webcams and comparable with
regular cameras, though without the low-light capability, plus you don't
need to run video cables if you're already networked. And they're pretty
cheap and work well with ZoneMinder!

Cheers,

Phil (http://www.zoneminder.com)

UK Home Automation Meet 2004 - BOOK NOW!
http://www.ukha2004.com

http://www.automatedhome.co.uk
Post message: ukha_d@yahoogroups.com
Subscribe:  ukha_d-subscribe@yahoogroups.com