Re: Network Media Players & Freeview PCI/USB Cards

Robert Welsh wrote:
>>>  - Linksys WMA11B
>>> (http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?grid=33&scid=38&prid=554)
>>>  - Netgear MP101
>>> (http://www.netgear.com/products/prod_details.php?prodID=234)
>>

>> I'm on the edge of getting one of these just to use until I sort
out
>> proper solution!
>
> I would have considered either of these a "proper" solution.
> In fact I would a WMA11B myself if it wasn't for the fact that it
> bloody
> well INSISTS on XP at the serverside.
>
> What you looking for if these don't count as proper (out of interest)
> ?

Video.  I'm looking to place TFTs in each room to play audio/video/pictures
>from
GUI of some description.  In the lounge, I will need something to hook up
the main PC, so I'll either use one of these network devices, or a hacked
laptop.

>> I've been googling all night.  The Hauppauge MVP looks like a good
>> option.
>> As for the PVR software, I've no idea, but have found a few forums
>> may
>> hassle!
>
> I knew I'd forgotten anohter - the Hauppage one.
> As for PVR software...I was looking at Showshifter last week - but, of
> course, mailing lists is pretty much converted to Sky+/Tivo these
> days. (personally I think everyone is getting too old when they start
> to value
> their own time over the fun of building projects....if you ask me ;-))

Do you know how many projects I have on the go?  Just documenting them is a
full-time job!  I've found DVrec (http://www.global-digital.co.uk/dvrec),
which seems to do what I want.  Just need to check minimum requirements,
and
test it out.  My only worry is recording shows is going to be a PITA versus
Tivo.

>> Yeah, I'm leaning towards a project, but time is valuable, and
buying
>> something will be better if it works.  Although, I think I have a
>> laptop
>> mobo with on-board TV-out and sound, which could make the perfect
>> donor....
>
> See ?!?!

:-)

>> I wonder what SWMBO would say about another DVD player?  There's
>> already the
>> one hooked up to the 5.1 system, the PS2, and my portable.
Nothing
>> on some
>> of the people here, but it's still a bit OTT!
>
> You could always wait and see what the new Sony PSX has in store for
> Europe....(and then pitch it to the missus as a PS2 'upgrade')

Nah, I'm not into gaming (only got it for SWMBO to use dancemants), and I'd
rather something more distributed, hence this approach.

Cheers,
Andy
--
http://ha.andylaurence.co.uk