Re: Network Media Players & Freeview PCI/USB Cards

Robert Welsh wrote:
> Andy Laurence wrote:
>> I've searched through ukha-archive.com, and I can't for the life
of
>> me find
>> the list of available network media players.  I'm trying to find
what
>> options I have that will play video/audio/images.  Alternatively,
any
>> multi-machine reviews would be useful.  It'll be easier to plug
one
>> of these
>> into my TV than build a PC/Xbox to do it!
>
>   - Linksys WMA11B
> (http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?grid=33&scid=38&prid=554)
>   - Netgear MP101
> (http://www.netgear.com/products/prod_details.php?prodID=234)

I'm on the edge of getting one of these just to use until I sort out a
proper solution!

>   - Rokulabs Soundbridge and HD1000
> (http://www.rokulabs.com)

I'd not seen this - looks very cool ... and expensive!

>   - Slim Devices Slimp3 and Squeezebox
> (http://www.slimdevices.com)
>
> I'm sure there's some others - but the obvious candidates all with
> varying limitations...so a little more research would be worthwhile.

I've been googling all night.  The Hauppauge MVP looks like a good option.
As for the PVR software, I've no idea, but have found a few forums I may
hassle!

> I use both a Slimp3 and a mod'ed XBox. For audio the Slimp3/Squeezebox
> is just the proverbial mutt's nuts. THe Xbox (in conjunction with
> XBMP)
> is a great solution for video and audio (if a little hacky).

Yeah, I'm leaning towards a project, but time is valuable, and buying
something will be better if it works.  Although, I think I have a laptop
mobo with on-board TV-out and sound, which could make the perfect donor....

> Actually I just though of another - The Kiss networked DVD player -
> which a few folks on here have...

I wonder what SWMBO would say about another DVD player?  There's already
the
one hooked up to the 5.1 system, the PS2, and my portable.  Nothing on some
of the people here, but it's still a bit OTT!

Cheers,
Andy
--
http://ha.andylaurence.co.uk