From: Simon Coates
To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
Sent: Friday, February 06, 2004 10:20 AM
Subject: Re: [ukha_d] ADSL - Firewalls - Routers

Tim,

When did you last enquire about adsl with BT?  As I mentioned before the
max
attenuation has been raised from 55dB to 60dB.  Probably the best thing to
do is order an adsl line with an ISP.  BT will do a line test at your house
to measure the line attenuation.  BT realise that adsl modems are improving
all the time and might let you have adsl if you are slightly over 60dB.  I
suppose it depends on the test engineer and his experience with other high
dB lines on the exchange.  The Vigor2600 modems are very good, I'm sure
much
better than the freebie BT modem - and the Vigor2600 has a firmware upgrade
specifically for high dB lines.  At the moment my router is reading 59.0dB
and working fine with the standard firmware - although it drops out when I
try and fax on the same line.
To improve line attenuation make sure you've got the best connection
possible - but that might only improve things by a fraction of a dB.  1dB
is
approx equal to 100m of line length.  Taking the pair off the exchange will
improve things slightly.
There are other ways to improve the line attenuation but BT aren't
interested at the moment.
Good luck

Regards

Simon