RE: ADSL - Firewalls - Routers

  • To: "Ukha_D" <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: ADSL - Firewalls - Routers
  • From: "James Hoye" <yahoo@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2004 11:10:34 -0000

> I'm not questioning the quality of Vigor routers - I use one in work
in
> fact - but advice from my mate was that VoIP was changing quite
> fast and it
> might not be worth spending the extra on the voice version yet.

The main issue with using VoIP seems to be using a SIP proxy to traverse
NAT.

If you are running behind a NAT firewall then you either need
your own SIP proxy (which would either need to be
installed/configured onto your firewall - assuming IPCop OR simply use a
hird party proxy like FWD - but then you are at their mercy).

The 2600V has a SIP proxy built in (AIUI from someone who already has one),
so you should be able to at least use that bit of it, even if you decide to
use something like Asterisk as a hardware solution.  I'm in pretty much the
same boat as you - I like the idea of VoIP, but
don't really want to upgrade my ADSL modem/router for the THIRD time in 24
months....

Also, the 2600V doesn't currently have any QoS capability - a
glaring omission really, although it *may* come as part of a
firmware update in the future.... who knows...

That aside, I have a 2600 and am very happy with it :)

James H

UK Home Automation Meet 2004 - BOOK NOW!
http://www.ukha2004.com

Subscribe:  ukha_d-subscribe@xxxxxxx