RE: OT: Any Red hat heads here?

Quoting Alex Monaghan <ha@xxxxxxx>:
> If you're wanting something quire simple and to "hide" most
of the *nix type
> bits, then look at webmin (probably got it as an option to install or
it may
> be installed already try http://servername:10000). This gives you
a "nice"
> web control panel.

Well RH does seem to do that - nothing I have done (which admittedly ain't
lot) has been thru X.  Oh, except I did have to change my hsotname manually
in
some file or other coz RH didn't seem to do it for me - though the thing
that
go upset did tell me where to look for it....

> Alternatively run an X environment on your main PC, there's a Windows
> version of XFree86 available now and see your desktop etc... As you
would on
> the server.

That's what I thought I could do originally - I vaguely remember about X
being
a client-server protocol except the display is the server not the client or
some such reversal of whatever it is you normally expect.
I googled about a bit and found various paid for X servers to run under
windoze, and managed to get hold of a trial of something (I forget what),
but
that seemed to want to host the whole lot on the windoze box - I couldn't
get
to the linux one, but I could run xclock and a few other kack apps from a
client instance on the windows box, so I gave up on that.
Do you know where I would get a FREE implementation of the X display server
only, to run under windoze, which is easy to configure?

cheers,

T.