Routing audio from mics to HA land (and HV outputs)

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Routing audio from mics to HA land (and HV outputs)
  • From: "Paul Gale" <groups@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 7 Sep 2003 09:56:15 +0100

More questions (HA day here today!). Not sure Sunday is the best day to
pos=
t =96 most of you seem to have a life at the weekends ;)

I=92ve got a number of open air microphones (Crown PZM-11) installed
around=
the house =96 originally for voice control (but as the software is still p=
ants =96 that will have to wait a while). I=92m finally getting round to
th=
inking about using them for security monitoring and want to be able to
list=
en in to whichever mic I want via the web and telephone. I have a Shure
int=
elligent mic mixer which will automatically select a mic depending on
noise=
level and also has a control interface to be able to manually select a mic=
by shorting one of 8 signals to ground. So I have a number of mixed h/w
& =
s/w questions:

1.	WHAT HV PORTS? The mixer=92s interface allows muting, gating and
overrid=
e selection of sources via a DB25 connector. For now I just want to use
the=
override select features to manually select one or more mics. A source is =
selected simply by shorting the relevant pin to the unit=92s =91Logic
Groun=
d=92 (possibly different to the audio ground???). I don=92t want to use
rel=
ays etc =96 can I do this just with one of HV=92s outputs? (obviously up
to=
8 outputs to control each of the 8 mics). I=92m not sure this is OK and wh=
ich port to use (port A?). Once wired up, selecting the outputs via
schedul=
e is easy :-)
2.	The line out from the mixer is simply routed into one of two soundcards
=
in my server (one is used for voice announcements and the other for MP3
ser=
ver). One card (MP3 server) is a SB Audigy 2 and the other an older SB
mode=
l of some kind. Is there a decent piece of software out there that can be
c=
ontrolled by HV and/or ACE (maybe just command line driven etc) that can
se=
lect record input, mute sources and set volume levels so I can then route
t=
he audio to
a.	my whole house audio system
b.	streamed to a web page via whatever streaming app I want
c.	somehow routed to a telephone for live listening (maybe via HomeSeer
Pho=
ne OR Asterisk etc
3.	in 2c above =96 how easy is it to route live audio onto the phone line
v=
ia something like Asterisk?

I think that=92s it for now. Any thoughts most appreciated as usual :-)

Paul.