Re: Comfort / Homevision

Hmm... simple enough question, but as ever, (with this group anyway), far
>from
achieve with the integration between security & HA.

Firstly, it is good to consider them seperately (as you have done). As IMHO
they are entirely different systems with entirely different sets of
objectives and approaches required. Albeit each benefits from integration
with the other...

If you go down the "simple alarm" route though, that last point
might be
your biggest potential problem, - how to integrate an alarm panel with your
chosen HA controller (Homevision for example). - consider whether or not it
provides a communication channel that you can tap into - a serial port for
example. And if it does, it the communications protocol it uses open for
you
to make use of?

If it doesn't specifically provide any form of external communication (and
many simple panels dont), then you are entering into the realms of DIY
methods to try to integrate them. Techniques such as conecting HV inputs to
panel zones or even soldering them to the contacts on the panels indicator
LED's have been mentioned here before... If you have to resort to such
methods to connect them together, then you are unlikely to be able to
communicate very much beyond simple state conditions (armed / disarmed /
alarm for example), so you'd probably not be able to monitor individual PIR
activations to give you room ocupancy information and the like...

If you can find a panel which is "simple" in as much as it
doesn't perform
any HA type functions, but which still provides a fullly featured,
accessable communications interface that you can connect to the HA
controller, then this sounds like it might be your best bet...

HTH

Paul G.