Re: Re: CBus introductory course

Hi Rob,

Apart from the qusetion of whether it would work, it was also suggested to
me that the regulations require physical separation between cables that
carry power from those that don't, even if they only carry DC. For those
that are not familiar with this, cbus cat5 carries 15-36V DC to power
devices. So it's possible that laying cbus cat5 next to other cat5 breaches
the regs.

I don't have a copy of the regs themselves, but I do have a copy of
"The
electrician's guide to the 16th edition of the IEE wiring regulations"
by
John Whitfield. Unfortunately, it isn't explicit on this matter. The
closest
relevant info I can find is that to be considered an SELV system,
"there
must be physical separation from the conductors of other systems...".
So
it's possible that an incorrectly installed CBus system does not meet the
requirements of an SELV system.

I don't know what the consequences of that are, nor whether the regs are
really able to cope with this.

Paul