RE: OT optimising pictures for web pages

Photoshop does a similar thing very well... If you open your image in PS,
then choose File> save for web... It does it nearly all for you...
Understanding the principles of Rasta (jpg, jpeg, gif etc) and vector
images
is very beneficial to and there are a lot of website dedicated to this
info..

Choose the size H & W you want your image first... this will make the
biggest difference (trust me, I have found thumbnail images on our intranet
that were nearly 2MB in size...)
Then reduce the quality until you start to notice a difference then tweak
back up a little and voila... smaller image size... JPEg that is..
GIF's slightly different as you can choose the amount of colours (oops..
colors for all you HTML pureists..) to use etc but again.. Play around and
see...

I mention Photoshop as most people have it so it may be easier to find (by
this for all you cert cops out there I do not mean piracy).. ( I think..)
Fireworks is also very good so either or really...

Hope this helps...

Have fun since that is exactly what web design should be unless you take
yourself too seriously...

Mark Hallows