RE: Dippy freeview questions - Now taboo channels...

> Hmmm, all the TV's at home have been fine for the last year or so,
except
> for C5 which was a very fuzzy.
> Last week, after printing the Taboo html page months ago, I got round
> retuning practically every thing...
>
> ...unfortunately (and I've checked it's all correct) pretty much every
RF
> channel is slightly to mostly very fuzzy now.
>
> Not good. Not sure what the problem is, maybe just too much RF on the
cable?

> Any ideas Keith?

It could be your main distibution amp being oveloaded by too high a signal,
it
could also be individual TV's or components such as SKY, VCR, Tivo etc that
have loop through.

Each loopthrough modulator adds a little gain to the signal but is also
susceptable to gereating harmonics if fed with too high an input.

You can get plug in attenuators in 3dB, 6dB, 12dB and 18dB ratings to drop
the
level. You may need to experiment to find the best place to fit them. You
might
also need several smaller attenuators between the loopthrough components
rather
than a single larger one eg

Ae--SKY---3db---VCR---3db---Tivo---6db----Dist Amp

rather than

Ae--SKY---VCR---Tivo---12db----Dist Amp

You can get them from Farnell http://www.farnell.com/uk and search
for "ATTENUATOR UHF/VHF" which will hopefully return the 4 that
they do.

Without special test equipment to accurately measure the signal levels it
is a
case of try until you succeed but the Taboo calculator is definately needed
avoid incorrect settings to start with.

Hope that helps

Keith

www.diyha.co.uk