Re: Digital prints from 35mm negatives

Quoting Benfield, John (john.benfield@xxxxxxx):

> Has anyone had experience of getting digital copies of 35mm negatives.
>
> I recently got some films developed at both BonusPrint and
> Jessops. The printed pictures came out with their normal good quality
> (I use a decent SLR), however I was really disappointed with the
> digital copies. My cheap(ish) Sony digital camera produces far better
> pictures. I was wondering if scanning the negatives myself would
> produce better quality images.

Our wedding photos were (as far as I recall) taken on 35mm and then
scanned before "printing" onto paper from the digital image.  The
results are excellent.  That was with a £20,000 negative scanner though.
I shouldn't be surprised if the quality of the digital images is highly
dependent on the equipment used to scan the negatives and I'd imagine
that when you're charging £500+ per wedding it's a lot easier to justify
spending that kind of money than when you're barely making a few quid a
time on photo processing.

(www.lrphotography.co.uk, if anyone cares)

James