Re: Thought of the day : HA with a Pocket PC ?

Palm with a serial link would be great, the serial link (and power)
could run over Cat5 and an adaptor made to suit the connection port on
the underside of the palm... (no more wiring than is needed for systems
like C-Bus)

IMHO Palms are nicer than PocketPC's - and have a nicer (somewhat more
subtle) backlight that can be easily controlled by software, make it
easy to find lightswitches in the dark (i.e. ignore first press and
just use that for backlight, next press controls stuff.

Ross

--
Ross McKillop
On 5 Dec 2003, at 14:20, Andy Laurence wrote:

> From: Ross McKillop [mailto:home@xxxxxxx]
>> Better still, any way of doing it with one of the older Palms?
>
> James Traynor was working on a Palm solution.  I tried out the serial
> version in March, and he had a prototype of an Ethernet version
> running then.  I'm not sure how he got on with it, and whether it's a
> fully-fledged product yet.  His website is http://www.mi4.biz/ and the
> beta serial version I tested is available there (downloads section).
> It's quite a cool piece of kit, but the main issue is mounting it,
> IMO.  It's a solution I've certainly considered for replacing my
> lightswitches, but PocketPC devices may work out just as cost
> effective these days (and look much smarter).

dangerous content and is believed to be clean