RE: X10 - how ?

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: X10 - how ?
  • From: "Hawes,Timothy Edward (GEG)" <haweste@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2003 16:44:01 -0000

> From: Malcolm Lansell Sent: 04 December 2003 12:16
>=20
> Comfort has the 8-channel dimmer for =A3430, 12-channel relay for
=A3512.
> The 4 channel switch interface is =A388.
>=20
> That works out at roughly =A375 per dimmed light, or =A365 per
switched
> appliance.
>=20
> On top of that, there's =A3300 for the computer interface.
>=20
> It's a ludicrous price for what this stuff actually does.

Malcolm,

I have neither X10, or CBus but do have experience of industrial PLCs
(prog=
rammable logic controllers).

I think it's fair to say that CBus (along with Polaron & Lutron) are
not ch=
eap, but when comparing these to X10, you're not comparing like with like.

Some quick (list) prices from what I do:
Processor	1344 (incl. Ethernet port)
Backplane	129 (active rack to plug the cards & CPU into)
Power Supply 	125
Digital input 	122 (16 channels)
Dig output	199 (16 channels)
Analogue Input 	651 (16 channels)
Analogue Out	651 (8 channels)
PC software	3000 (typically)

A couple of points to note, the analogue in/outs are 24VDC (or 0-10V) not
2=
40VAC, so there's some extra cost to be added there, and the digital cards
=
are 12/24VDC so more extra cost in relays for switching mains voltage
stuff=
.

This kit is super reliable and infinitely configurable, *but* you pay for
i=
t. This kit can be made fully redundant, hot swappable etc etc.=20

I may be unpopular for saying it, but I see X10 as "hobby" kit,
and CBus / =
Polaron / Lutron etc as pukka professional gear. and that's fine, as long
a=
s you don't expect professional performance from "hobby"
equipment. From yo=
ur original question, I think your hitting the limits of equipment in that
=
price bracket. To get greater functionality is now probably going to
involv=
e spending more money :-/

You will pay a premium for a hardwired system, but what are you going get
i=
s increased functionality and a more integrated system. Although it costs
m=
ore IMHO it's better *value* :-)

You can still take it with you should you move, it's just a bit more
involv=
ed than unplugging a few modules. If you've got an X10 Din rail system,
swa=
pping out that, or CBus is probably a wash.

Just my 2p, HTH,

Tim H.

+