RE: X10 - how ?

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: X10 - how ?
  • From: "Ian Davidson" <ian@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2003 15:56:31 -0000

Hi All

Just a quick email to keep you informed as to were I'm at with my X10
replacement as it seems relevant after reading some of the recent
messages.

Firstly I'm miles behind were I had hoped to be at this time but only
due to heavy work commitments. The good news is that I have moved my
designs across from power line to the newer RF technologies and it works
great. The speed increase has worked out well and to the operator seems
instant.

I have one more hardware decision to make and I'll then make a PCB, but
I think this will be after Christmas now. I have 2 1/2 prototypes
working and very reliable. I also have a solution for very large
properties or difficult to cover with RF type properties, but that will
have to wait for another email, I need to leave here at 4.00pm to get
home on time ready to take SWMBO to the first of the usual run of
Christmas do's. If I don't make it I will have to have another look at
the thread about Russian brides!

Thanks

Ian D.... heading for car.............

> This thread started with complaints about X10's abilities.  C-Bus is a
great
> alternative which is more robust and has more features.  It's always
going
> to be more expensive than a plug-in X10 module, but would you really
expect
> it to be anything else?  It's not the crazy prices of some other hard
wired
> system which are clearly aimed at the millionaire types.  It's an
> affordable, quality system.

I agree - when I was planning our renovation I compared the costs of
C-BUS
compared to X-10. It was actually slightly cheaper for C-BUS - although
some of
that was down to the fact we have a 3 phase supply.

This group helped me a lot in the choice, and if I was not a member I
would now
have "normal" switching in the house.

The flexibility C-BUS will give me (cos it not yet fully installed) will
be
worth the extra cost. I'm almost certain it wont add value to the house
- but I
do have the option of taking it with me, not that we are planning to
move.

Umar

UKHA 2004: 15th and 16th May 2004

Subscribe:  ukha_d-subscribe@xxxxxxx