Re: Pinnacle ShowCenter {Scanned for Viruses}

Ross McKillop wrote:
> Anyone know if this can work without a windows-based server?
>
> (why do none of these units simply connect by CIFS or HTTP or
> something that only needs files lying on a server somewhere?)

I know this doesnt do what you want (ie video) but fyi - there is a beta
version of the extreamer firware which can pull music off a CIFS share, so
can be used without a webserver or you can even using NAS! The extreamer
/does/ connect via HTTP by default - and as such needs some kind of web
server (but it can of course be hosted on any OS)

Another enhancement which is usefull (for X10-controlled announcements) is
the virtual sound card driver for the PC - allows the extreamer to
"become"
the speaker of your PC so all audio can be piped to anywhere in your house
within wireless range! Not yet programmed the full functionality of this
yet
(I hate most of the Microsoft "voices" - anyone know of any
improved ones?)
so am now looking at using samples instead of synthesised speech.

Cheers,

/Neil/

Web design, hosting and domain registration
http://www.spellings.net/