[OT]Hi8 to MPEG advice req

I'm after some camcorder/video capture advice...

Because of the poor results I've all but given up trying to capture video
MPEG from my Hi8 camcorder using a cheap TV card, so I'm thinking about
getting
a Digital camcorder instead.

Is it worth perusing the capture from what I have using a more expensive
capture device (the camera only has composite out anyway) or should I put
the
money towards a MiniDV jobbie instead?

Is the quality that much better?

Supposing I get a new camcorder and get rid of my old one, I'm left with
footage on Hi8 & VHS tapes which I can't watch as I don't have a video
player
anymore.
Does anyone have any experience of using a commercial outfit for converting
Hi8
to MPEG? (if there is such a thing)

Is it worth getting a Digital8 camera so I can  get the stuff off my old
Hi8
tapes but still do digital?

Thanks,

Justin.