Re: What the **** is going on!!!???

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: What the **** is going on!!!???
  • From: "alcinababe" <alcinababe@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 17 Aug 2003 15:22:03 -0000

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "Kevin Hawkins" <lists@u...> wrote:

> In some other X10 devices there are a good couple of reasons - firstly
they
> rely on a path for the X10 signal to pass through, as some of these
are
> wired just in series with the light (eg LW10)  then this path is
effectively
> through the filament of the bulb  - I don't think that a high energy
bulb
> provides this path due to the discharge (high impedance) nature of the
> device. Secondly EE bulbs do not dim as expected with standard dimmers
-
in
> fact should not be dimmed used with them  - however as the socket
rocket is
> not a dimmer I ignored this - plus as it has a permanent live and
neutral
> feed the first problem seems to go away. As the LW15 socket rocket is
not a
> dimmer and has L and N available it could have been made to
incorporate
> relay rather than a triac anyway..

Okidoki!  This all sounds perfectly plausable - I know they can't be used
in
dimmer switches, but as you say, the LM15 isn't dimmable anyway.  I just
presumed The End Of The World if I tried to use one in an LM15, so I
didn't!

I can report, however, thanks to a quick flit to Sainsbury's this
afternoon, that I
am now the proud possessor of a Philips 20W (1200 lumens) Energy Efficient
'Ambience' bulb which is bayonetted into my remaining LM15.  It's the sort
that
even looks like a proper bulb albeit a bit bigger....WAF I think chaps!
Ignoring
the warning on the side of the box ("Not suitable for dimming,
electronic
switches, photocells, timing devices and dusk to dawn sensors") I
performed
an experimental "A3 on" (from a safe distance naturally) and my
house is still
standing...so it's all looking good!  Of course it has still to run the
gauntlet of
"Lights on at sunset and off c.11pm".  If you never hear from me
again I guess
we'll all know that there is indeed a damn good reason why you shouldn't
use
an Energy Efficient bulb in an LM15...

Alcina
=8-)