Fw: Re: OT : Building Costs (It will house HA, so mebe not OT!)

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Fw: Re: OT : Building Costs (It will house HA, so mebe not OT!)
  • From: "Tom Dubourg" <thomas.dubourg@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2003 18:49:43 -0000

Hi Gareth

We did an extension over our double garage last year and had the=20
problem of insufficient load bearing walls beneath. The architect=20
advised a timber frame solution with a rendered finish - solution=20
has been fine and it is the warmest part of the house when the heat=20
is on. It is quick to loose heat over night though, but it does=20=20
have three external walls!

Costs similar to your original quote.

Regards

Tom

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, Gareth Cook <g@u...> wrote:
> [...]
> .
> Fw: [ukha_d] Re: OT : Building Costs (It will house HA, so mebe=20
not OT!)
> .
> Category:
>=20
>=20
>=20
> Gareth,
>=20
> Don't assume that the garage foundations will need underpinning=20
just=20
> because the wall is single skin, Mark H is correct in general that=20
> most garages don't have foundations designed to support a second=20
> story so underpinning would be necessary, however there are=20
> exceptions to this rule (I am in the process of buying one) check=20
> with your local building control officer / planning department for=20
> details, someone local might already have done a conversion on a=20
> similar house in which case you might get some info about=20
structural=20
> loads etc from that.
>=20
> If the foundations are there you may want to look at using=20
structural=20
> beams and pilars to support the inner skin of the upper floor=20
rather=20
> than build walls from the ground floor up, this will save on the=20
> labour costs.
>=20
> I was warned by the BCO not to go for Timber frame for the second=20
> story inner walls as there can be issues with damp on the wall=20
> adjoining what used to be the external wall of the house.=20
>=20
> I am looking at doing an extension of nearly 60sqm and am not=20
being=20
> quoted anywhere near the 40K plus you are looking at, although I=20
> understand the 75 - 100 per sq ft is finished and decorated cost=20
not=20
> the bare shell as I am looking for.
>=20
> The other factor is I am at the opposite end of the M4 so labour=20
> costs are cheaper.
>=20
> Hope that helps, have you asked this question on the selfbuild=20
> forum?? they may have some other ideas
>=20
> Paul
>=20
> --- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, Gareth Cook <g@u...> wrote:
> > The house garage will need underpinning - it has single skin=20
> brickwork. i=20
> > think I seriously underestimated the cost of the extension,=20
> especially is=20
> > it was just a shell and no internal fancy walls or shapes.
> >=20
> > I would prefer to do much of the interior myself, inc.=20
plastering,=20
> wiring,=20
> > plumbing, etc etc. So cost is just for a waterproof shell
ready=20
to=20
> go.=20
> > Mebe I'll have to put my plans on hold for a cinema, or pull
out=20
of=20
> the=20
> > sale of the house. Still need funds to flood wire :-)
> >=20
> > So, 43sq/m seems to be about =A343000 - I presume + vat.
> >=20
> > G.
> >=20
> >  Gareth Cook
> >  SWG EMEA North Account Manager
> >  IBM SWG - BTE Office - Lotus Park, Staines, TW18 3AG
> >  Office: +44 (0)1784 445166 - Mobile: +44 (0)7980 445166
> >  AIM Chat : TheBoyG - MSN Chat : chat@g...
> >  email: g@xxxxxxx
> >=20
> >=20
> > ----- Forwarded by Gareth Cook/UK/IBM on 26/11/2003 22:53 -----
> >=20
> > Discussion
> > Main Topic
> >=20
> > "mark_harrison_uk2" <mph@a...>
> > Today 22:16
> >=20
> > .
> > Subject:
> > .
> > [ukha_d] Re: OT : Building Costs (It will house HA, so mebe
not=20
OT!)
> > .
> > Category:
> >=20
> >=20
> >=20
> > Gareth,
> >=20
> > Ball park of =A375-100/sq.ft. feel reasonable. The costs
basically=20
> > depend on location (yup - London has expensive builders) and=20
> > specification (and I don't see you going for the "bargain=20
bucket".)
> >=20
> > The key issue on cost in this case will be the existing=20
> construction=20
> > of the garage. If it's double-skinned (block inner, brick=20
outer),=20
> > then you may be lucky and discover the foundations are already=20
> built=20
> > to a specification that would support a residential second=20
floor.)=20
> If=20
> > it's single-skinned, as many attached garages are, then you
may=20
> well=20
> > need to replace/underpin foundations, and may also have to
build=20
up=20
> a=20
> > second wall skin at ground-floor level before you get to the=20
first=20
> > floor.)
> >=20
> > Handy tip - where you are then LABOUR costs are going to=20
dominate=20
> far=20
> > more than in some parts of the country. As such, it may be
worth=20
> > looking at the more "expensive materials, fast-to-fit
building=20
<rmouser@t...> wrote:
> > > I would agree with Neil's builder, a 'ball park' figure for
a=20
> > residential standard fit out (Nothing fancy mind!) would hit
our=20
> > budgeting systems at =A375 sq ft.
> > > Most builders still work in ft! Commercial property
market=20
seems=20
> to=20
> > work on nothing else!
> > > You will get regional variations though, especially in the
SE.=20
> > > I know of plasterers earning =A3400+ a DAY for site work
in=20
> > London.....Hmmm now where was that post on a plastering=20
> > course.........:-)
> > >=20
> > > Rob
> > >=20
HA,=20
so=20
> > mebe not OT!)
> > >=20
> > >  Builder mate of mine reckons GBP70 - 100 per sq ft
depending=20
on=20
> > how much
> > > ground works etc are involved
> > >=20
> > > Sorry it's an "imperial" measurement but he's an
old boy!
> > >=20
> > > Cheers
> > >=20